Saturday 8 October 2011

The Booking Office at St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel


The heritaged chamber has finally been renovated to the grand Renaissance at St. Pancras. I've witnessed the whole project from start to finish :) We used to be able to steal a little peek from our Judd St. mansion of the top of the red bricked building. To compliment a special week after tedious negotiation, we headed to the Booking Office for a hearty English dinner.

Having arrived a lil early we first had a cocktail at the foyer. To my disappointment the cocktail list was a little uninnovative... We settled for the pineapple long drink with rum with raspberry and mint. It's served in the traditional 1/2 pint silver mug which I decided it's best for prisoners... It's actually better to have your drinks served at the foyer than in the main bar as it gets soooo packed during happy hour! We were moved to the table in the main dining area BUT my back was facing the other entrance which they should've used double doors and that means i's froze most of the time.

The menu was simple and short serving traditional English food. I must say i'd do a better job in interior design... hmmm.... we tried the duck/pistachio terrine and butternut squash soup for starters. i was amused that they didnt give us starter cutleries... and my plate was placed the wrong direction..!!!! the terrine was nice and firmly held with a bit of crunchy bite of nuts. the gooseberry chutney was too sharp to mr. whitley's palete though. he enjoyed his soup just a bit too big in portion and i felt it could have been a bit more salty and creamy. the bread was to perfection though!

the mains came swiftly. the piping hot chicken mushroom pie looked yummmmm! it reminded me of my childhood! my mom'd get me mini chicken mushroom pies for tea :) the puff pastry was very light and fluffy! and the white sauce was delicious whilst the chicken wasn't overcooked! my sea bass was a bit boring though. esp they gave me lots of beans and potato which i hate... im glad the mixed greens were not heavily dressed and it's v fresh. =]

overall the service's not what you'd expect in a hotel restaurant but i do love the atmosphere in particular with the live band music! you can also watch other diners savouring over Eton mess.

thank you for the treat i love you.

p.s. my new objective this year is to source new ingredients to pair and perfect my sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment