Saturday 30 June 2012

Fifteen years on

I was such a naive girl with massive ego 15 years ago.
I was only 13.
I was happily awaiting my Year 7 final results and the beginning of summer holidays.
I was also deeply saddened by the departure of the last HK Governor and his family, a tear stung my face when the HMY Britannia drifting along the harbor, becoming smaller and smaller until she disappeared gracefully, with pride and honor, into the darkness of Pacific Ocean.

The first of July 1997 marked the historical day in this little fishing village in the South-East. Fifteen years on, I am now a grown-up living in the Motherland. I first thought of writing this in my mother tongue. Strangely enough, it feels more natural to pour out in English. Even stranger is - how Honkers are still regrettably attached to the British reign (I know it sounds uber politically incorrect).

I was lucky to be born in early 80s, able to experience the less turbulent era and enjoy the wealth of cultural freedom and be a little witness of the last few years of HK as a British colony. The little touches have since faded - the coins with Queen's face, the red postboxes, the stamps, the public holiday of Queen's birthday, and the English and colony flags. These are however only the physical features, with a lot subtle replacements that only a local could tell. It may be wrong to express an opinion - having not lived at home for 11 years I do not feel the most appropriate to comment.

'I have relinquished the administration of this government. God Save the Queen. Patten.' The last telegraph sent to Her Majesty at 00:00 HKT1st July 1997, aboard with his family and two little Norfolk terriers, as well as the Prince, drew a line of the British rule for HK. A very beautiful line that would always earn him pride and praise amongst those who had the fortune to taste. A very beautiful line that the city and history will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment